When planning your kitchen, it is worth taking the following points into account:
• The benefits of an extractor hood are immediately evident, as odours, steam and heat are quickly removed. Hoods can either extract through an external wall or recirculate the air via odour-removing carbon filters.
• Built in ovens and hobs should be positioned on an external wall wherever possible - this will make ventilating them easier, as the shortest possible route means much greater efficiency.
• Hobs are normally fitted into the work-top over a 600mm wide kitchen unit.
• Built in hobs should not be positioned under a window wherever possible
• Installing a refrigerator adjacent to an oven will increase the amount of energy needed by both appliances.
The following are the recommended minimum dimensions for hob placement. Please note that individual manufacturers may offer their own guidance.